Thursday, August 27, 2009

No proof

Recently, a friend told me that when he hears someone say dessert is better than sex, he figures that person must be doing something wrong. Which made me wonder if I am, in fact, doing something wrong. Not with my husband, but with my hair dryer.

Lately, it seems like people just can't stop raving about No Frizz, a line of styling creams developed by MIT (yes, that MIT) scientists. Boasting the only new anti-frizz technology developed in more than thirty years, the company's straight making spray, cream and treatment are some of the most buzzed-about products out there.

But I have to be honest. I. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

To say I was ecstatic (pun intended) when I read about No Frizz would not be an exaggeration. Something that “actually repels dirt and oil”? I couldn’t slap down my credit card fast enough.

Since the line wasn’t initally available at Sephora, I ordered my straight making spray directly from Living proof. One nice touch? It came with a jumbo-sized sample to pass along to a friend.

Eager to see this miracle for myself, and as yet undeterred by the smell -- which the company claims is citrus, but seems more reminiscent of bugspray -- I commenced the recommended twenty sprays and twenty minutes with my favorite T3 dryer. Sadly, the saga ended with my hair looking virtually the same as it does with my usual combination of Bumble and bumble., Frederic Fekkai and Garnier Fructis (which, I must say, smells pleasantly fruity).

Categorized by hair type, the original line includes products for fine to medium hair, medium to thick hair, and thick to coarse hair. Also available are a shampoo and conditioner (for all hair types) and a deep conditioner (for dry or damaged hair).

But for my money? I’d go with the seven-layer cake.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great, honest review. Proof that not everything clinically proven or expensive actually does what it is supposed to.

    The only anti-frizz serum that has ever seemed to work for me is by Prive. I just use the tiniest bit to smooth out strays after blow-drying and straightening. It is light, non-greasy, and adds a touch of gloss. It's by no means the no frizz miracle we have all been waiting for, but it helps.

    ReplyDelete